Monday 8 August 2011

Maths, Maths and more maths

I was reading this on the BBC news this morning hoping to be excited by the commitment to improving numeracy in the population. Instead all I hear is Maths, Maths and more Maths which I don't think helps anyone.

I'm an engineer by origin; numbers come easily to me; I adored Maths at school; but sadly I'm in the vast minority.

Most kids appear to find Maths tricky, it doesn't easily connect with them. Yet ask those same kids questions about money or measurements or sharing out a cake and they show their numerical skills. I am convinced that the problem is the way Maths is taught.

I am thrilled with the way numeracy is so practical now in Rachel's primary school; she uses numbers confidently in real life situations; and that's what really matters.

So let's focus on that instead of exam results.
Yes let's teach numerical skills to a set level, but let's not make it all about a chore to do and a fence to jump over; let's make it part of everyones life skills and vocational training.

No comments: