Friday 28 January 2011

Wall-E Review



Wall-E

This was the first film we took Rachel to see at the cinema, on her 4th birthday. She was unbelievably excited to be actually going to a cinema, and getting some sweets and watching a new film; it took me right back to my first experience - ET. I've just realised we both watched a film about space for our first films, cool.

She sat forward in her seat, transfixed to the screen for the whole first section where Wall-E is exploring and showing us his world and job. I think this was my favourite part of the film as well, really showing Pixar's genius of being able to get the audience to empathise with a robot. I felt so sad for him to be alone and adored his collections. And his film watching, capturing precisely the quality and therapy of cinematic production.

Rachel loved Eeeeeevaaaaaaa, as did I; and she cried when Eva went away. "But Wall-E loves her and will miss her" is a phrase I will never forget. I had no idea that she would be able to empathise that greatly with animated characters at the cinema. Of course I give her some of the credit for that, I am her mum after all; but I give a fair chunk of the congratulations for achieiving that to the animators.

The film is very much in two parts; the second part being in outer space, with the humans. I won't go into this too much because I'd hate to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't watched it. It is just as beautiful, funny, with a message about human beings and planetary care and reliance on machinery. But for me the film takes off again when Wall-E and Eva dance in space; wow wow wow; Fred Astair and Ginger eat your hearts out.

We love this film, all three of us. We bought the DVD as soon as it was released and we have more Wall-E merchandising than from almost any other film.

If you haven't watched Wall-E please do not delay, go out this weekend and find a copy. sit down with popcorn and a drink and enjoy the cinematography and story that this film provides so brilliantly. It's no surprise it won the Best Animated Feature Academy Award.

No comments: