Monday 24 January 2011

Toy Story2 Review



We are moving through time pretty rapidly now, just 11 years ago came one of the most anticipated cartoon sequels: Toy Story 2.
Directed by John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich and Ash Brannon
Costing $90M
Grossing $485M
92 minutes long

In a simplistic explanation, Toy Story was all about Buzz and his realisation that he is a toy; Toy Story 2 is more about Woody and his background. I must have watched Toy Story 2 about 6 or 7 times and it has taken that long for it to really appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but for me it didn't even come close to the original. But recently I have grown to love Jessie especially and can really empathise with her pain when she is abandoned, in fact just remembering her beautiful song is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Perhaps I needed to be older to cope with the fact that the 2nd film is all about what happens when the love is gone (even if we are referring to the love of toys), where as the original was about how a child can love many toys. Who knows, and this is not a therapy couch.

Of course no review of an animated film can neglect a discussion about the animation itself. To that end Toy Story 2 shows the development and improvement that four years makes since the original Toy Story.

Before we can end I do have to say that the reviews hitting the press about the about to be released Toy Story 2 in 3D are fantastic, and of course I will be going to see it.

No comments: